Saturday, October 2, 2010

Make an editor happy: take a picture with your phone

Today, I covered a drowning in the river that runs through our downtown.  I did the normal coverage of an event. I sent updates to the web and tweeted it.

Our photographer had a good vantage point on the other side of the river, but I knew he had no way to post. I held up my Blackberry and took a picture, then sent it to our online team. It wasn't a great photo, and I couldn't crop it on my phone. But they used it.

When I returned to the office, I was greeted with, "Thanks for the picture," from Eba Hamid, our web producer.

For a while it was in the featured position of our home page. Until, of course, they got a real photo from our real photographer.

"We need to remind more reporters to do that when they're at a scene," said Lori Buselt, our web content manager.

Sometimes, it is the little things that make a difference.

Sonya Smith and I recently had a conversation about smartphones for reporters at Mojos Unite, which has some good suggestions. It also reminded me to take that picture today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share/Save/Bookmark